23 November 2012

Rules to Shopping Happiness

I'm known for being cheap. I don't think its so much that I'm cheap but that I know how to divvy out my money into a set budget and know how to shop for quality pieces and items that fit within that budget. I think the biggest problem most people have is that instead of being able to wait for a deal or look for their best option, they are impulse buyers. So the three important rules when shopping for anything are:

1) Know your budget:
     Literally sit down and figure out your budget for everything. Take out payments for bills and credit cards first. Factor in an amount to go toward savings. Next take out money for groceries and fuel. Go through your expenses like that. BE REALISTIC with yourself. Nobody else is going to see this budget but you, so go ahead and factor in the money you spend on snickers bars. Do you have a spa day every month? Factor it in. Obviously, you should be able to determine the difference between wants and necessities but prioritize your splurge budgets too. Are snickers more important than the spa? Are new shoes worth bringing in your lunch a couple extra days a week? You decide.
   Once you have a budget, STICK TO IT!

2) Know where (and when) to shop:
    For clothing and accessories shop off season. You can usually find the best deals in those clearance racks and if its something that you think will be completely out of style by next season, you probably shouldn't be buying it anyway. Also don't be afraid of Goodwill, thrift stores, and discount retailers like Marshall's. I find some of the best items at places like thrift and vintage shops. Especially for jewelry. Instead of paying twenty bucks for a necklace that is supposed to look vintage, I get an actual vintage piece for a fraction of the cost.
    For bigger purchases--think appliances, cars or whatever--do research before buying. It took me eight months to buy my car. I waited for deals and did a lot of research on models and reviews and ended up buying through the internet. Of course, I had test driven the car at a dealership long before I made that decision, but I got a great price which brings me to my last rule.

3) Know how to say NO:
    This is a lot of people's huge downfall. You have a budget, you did your research but when you get there to purchase your item something else catches your eye or the salesperson tries to add in extra money. That dress you see on the hanger is more than you really want to pay or more than your budget says you should pay. Learn to walk away. 
   The price will go down or it wasn't meant to be yours after all. The sales person will have some magic wand that somehow makes the price go down to close the deal or you find a new place to shop. It works and you feel good about your purchase today and tomorrow and a month from now.
  

1 comment:

  1. And delete the Amazon app off of your phone! My poor bank account...

    ReplyDelete